My experience was highlighted in an article that VentureBeat did on me. Fyi, this is the only article that VentureBeat has ever done featuring a recruiter. http://venturebeat.com/2012/09/25/startup-stories-recruiter/.
- From 15 years of experience in the tech industry, I am a prolific recruiting detective with strong sourcing and assessment skills.
- I started an online business and know how hiring managers feel as I have felt the trepidation that followed candidates telling me what they thought I wanted to hear.
- I have many years of science in my background from studying them at college and reading about them to this day. i.e. I can pick up technical concepts.
- I talk directly to engineers and other candidates. I don’t delude them and insult their intelligence such as how many recruiters talk to them like they are trying to sell them a car.
- Having worked on a contingency basis for a number of years, I have learned how to recruit properly. Many people who learned recruiting in large companies, not to mention worked there most of their careers, had the luxury of a constant stream of resumes in response to ads. As a consequence, they never learned how to recruit in a way that an aggressive start-up needs.
Contact me through LinkedIn http://www.linkedin.com/in/JonMarcus
The Two Basics of Recruiting
1) No matter how technical the job, recruiting is all about people: Its part detective, part therapist and part public relations.
2) Hire people based on skills. A vast majority of hiring managers eventually pick someone to hire from a well-known / large company, from a school they know / trust, from a referral or from their home town area. All these reasons relieve them of making a hiring decision based on an unknown entity, the candidate. Let me boil that down: Fear of the unknown is running your recruiting decisions. Fear. Yes, they will interview based on skills, but they will hire based on fear. ** Hire people based on skills.
Finessing the Process
In my 15 years of recruiting, I have learned how to finesse the process which makes the most of the people I find. Why lose a good candidate for a stupid reason or poor communication. This finessing includes being aware of what candidates want, managing the hiring road map, the teams, the candidates and the details involved with each particular search. Don’t underestimate the value of this over someone who just places ads and doesn’t know people well enough to make the process work. The subtleties of the process are very important.
Seasoned Sr. Level Recruiter. A wealth of experience with both small start-ups and large companies. Extensive recruiting experience in the tech industry covering all levels of positions from executive to recent grads across all facets of the organization. Creative and disciplined, have run a self-owned recruiting business since 1997. Have also started a tech business which gave me first-hand knowledge from the hiring manager’s point of view. Clients and candidates found through networking (online, phone and in-person) and a self-developed database. Membership and activity in Silicon Valley business organizations such as VC Taskforce, SVForum, Silicon Valley IGDA, TEC, MIT Club of Northern California Semiconductor Entrepreneurship.
* Cloud Technologies * Social Media / Online * Games / Mobile gaming * SaaS and Enterprise software * Wireless software * Semiconductors * Optical hardware * Digital media * Data storage * Search engine technology * Telecommunications * AV / TV Devices * E-procurement * Healthcare I/T * Consumer electronics
BUSINESS POSITION EXPERIENCE
* Marketing VP, Director * Finance VP, Director, Controller * Business Development VP, Director * Product Management, Director * Product Marketing Managers * Technology Sales * Social Media Manager * Operations, Director * Channel Sales, Marketing * Marketing Communications / PR * CPA / Audit / Tax * Financial Planning & Analysis * Consultants – CRM & Management * Creative Director / Artists * Director of Logistics * Tech Support Management
TECH POSITION EXPERIENCE
* Cloud Engineers * C / C++ Engineers * Java / J2EE Engineers * (Sr.) Systems Administrators * (Sr.) DBA * Firmware / Embedded Software Engineer * XML / HTML / HTML5 / AJAX / FLASH * QA / Testing / Global QA Manager * EDA Software * LAMP / Ruby / on Rails * .NET Developers * CRM / Consultants * Development Managers * Artificial Intelligence Engineering * Director of Manufacturing